Monday, February 2, 2009

More Lab Equipment

By visiting second hand stores I have found a good collection of lab glassware and other lab equipment. It usually takes many trips before you might find something of use. I did find some great pieces of labware: 10 glass petri dishes that cost $1.00 each, 4 400 ml. beakers at $1.00 each and different flasks and test tubes.

In picture # 5 I found a box of glass furniture casters in the trash. These can be used as petri dishes, test dishes, animal dishes such as brine shrimp etc.

In picture # 4 I built some funnel stands from coat hangers and lab stands from 1/2 inch dowelling and 1 inch wood. They work great for supporting flasks, beakers and evaporating dishes while heating them.

In picture # 6 (not a very good picture) I show a laptop that was thrown out and some software and microphone that I put together as an oscilloscope. The software came from a book Electronic circuits for the evil genius : [57 lessons with projects] / Dave Cutcher. He even shows you how to create a test cable for the scope.

2 comments:

J Alford said...

I read about the light bulb flasks, and other homemade lab equipment, in a book I had checked out as a kid. Do you happen to know the name of the book ? I have been trying to put together a small lab setup. I had a desk, when I was young, and had a lot of stuff. Much of it lost in a house fire. I am unable to work, so trying to do something. I have always loved science, especially chemistry. I worked in a lab, all through high school.

Lawrence said...

Hey J,

I believe the book you are loooking for is:

Build-it-Yourself Science Laboratory - Raymond E. Barrett 1963.

Check my links area some of the pdf files have some very low cost or free ideas on building lab equipment, especially for chemistry.

Lawrence