Thursday, October 8, 2009

Useful and Deleted Links

The Other night I was checking my Links list and found the link to Constructing Inexpensive Lab Equipment no longer works. I hope people have downloaded the files and saved them or printed them out. That is why it is often a good idea to print the pages of a web site up or make sure you download any information needed because you never know how long a site will stay up.

I have found 3 useful links for older books that where used in building lab equipment and to do experiments from. They are:

1)The New Unesco Source Book for Science Teaching. Is sort of different edition of the book 700 Science Experiments for Everyone. I am not sure if this book is out of print. A look online and you can still find this brand new. I haven't been able to find a pdf or site for the original book.

unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0000/000056/005641E.pdf

2)The Scientific American Book of Projects. This book is out of print and is a very interesting book.

www.sciencemadness.org/
library/books/projects_for_the_amateur_scientist.pdf

3)The Make Science Room. It is related to the book "Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Experiments" by Robert Bruce Thompson that I talked about in an earlier post:

http://blog.makezine.com/science_room/

I am glad I found the first 2 because I have the books and I would rather read through the PDF files instead of my old books. It is too easy to damage them.

Again make sure to get it while they are up, you don't know how long that will be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello good Sir,
I have recently become interested in classroom built labware as my brother has been teaching in Kenya and would like to get the 200+ students he has more equipment so as to foster their interest in the world of Science. He teaches English but as you understand has also been tasked with teaching Science.
I downloaded the Unesco book for science teaching from your site for which I am greatful but I would be forever appreciative if you could make your electronic book library available to me?

I tried contacting the author of: Constructing Inexpensive Science Teaching Equipment, but I was informed by the college, from which he worked, that he has sadly passed away

As you've mentioned the link to this book is dead but I used archive.org to view it:
http://web.archive.org/web/20070704042228/icase.unl.edu/guidboks/guidebok.htm


Great site by the way, and I hope you keep it up!

My email is gallagth@tcd.ie if wish to assist me.

Sincerely,
Tom.